for 6 servings
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 9 large eggs, divided
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled, grated, excess moisture squeezed out
shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
resh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy, 4-6 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same pan, add the garlic. Cook over low heat for about 30 seconds, or until it starts to brown. In a medium bowl, beat 8 eggs and add to the pan, along with the scallions, salt, and pepper. Scramble the eggs until mostly set but still a little wet, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Peel the potatoes and grate on the large holes of a box grater onto a clean kitchen towel set over a bowl. Wring out any excess liquid.
- Transfer the shredded potatoes to a clean, large bowl and add the remaining egg, the flour, and ½ cup (50 g) cheddar cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Line a 4-inch (10 cm) diameter bowl with plastic wrap.
- Place ½ cup (75 g) of the grated potato mixture in the bowl. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the potatoes against the sides of the bowl in an even layer, creating a divot in the center.
- Fill the well with a bit of cheddar cheese, a spoonful of scrambled eggs, a bit of bacon, and top with another sprinkle of cheese.
- Pick up the sides of the plastic wrap, twisting to create a sealed ball. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Chill the potato balls for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unwrap the balls, place them on the prepared baking sheet, and brush with egg wash. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with ketchup on the side.